HomepageContact UsSite Map


Inmate Property/Money

Acceptance of Money/Commissary Purchases

Deposits can be made into inmate accounts by utilizing the kiosk located in the jail lobby, by depositing a money order (completed and including the inmate’s MNI number) into the drop box located in the jail lobby, or through Swanson/Trinity at www.SmartDeposit.com. Fee schedules for the Swanson/Trinity services can be found on the respective websites and posted in the jail lobby.

Commissary care packages can now be ordered online for inmates at the Alachua County Jail. Visit www.mycarepack.com. Customer service questions should be directed to Trinity Services Group at 866.643.9557 (M-F 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.)

For further assistance, contact the Inmate Trust Fund Coordinator at 352-491-4461 or Trinity Commissary at 352-491-4524.


Approved Inmate Property

The Inmate Handbook describes items that can be kept in the possession of inmates and can be brought into the facility from outside sources such as family members, friends, or attorneys, upon approval.

Inmates may have the following items in their possession:

  • One (1) each: mattress, blanket, pillow, pillowcase, towel, wash cloth, uniform (general population), *gym shorts (white only), *thermal underwear (white only), *sweatshirt (gray only), Bible or Koran, address book, prescription eye glasses
  • One (1) pair each: shower slides (jail issued), *canvas shoes, tennis shoes (trusty only)
  • Two (2) each: sheets
  • Five (5) each: *brassieres (sports bra, white only/no under-wire) women only, underwear (white only), *t-shirts (white only w/sleeves, no tank-top style), *socks (white only)
  • Toothpaste/toothbrush, comb, soap, feminine hygiene items, as appropriate
  • Two (2) each: library books
  • One (1) jacket issued to outside trusties only
  • One (1) tub container to hold allowed items

NOTE: Issued items that are Jail property; *these items can be obtained from Commissary.

Inmates may keep a black pen, writing tablet, and a reasonable amount of legal materials and letters.

Inmates may keep a moderate sized, plain religious cross or medallion and a wedding band, if in possession upon arrest.  These items may not have stones of any kind in them.

Inmates may request specific items from their stored personal property by completing an Inmate Property Request form; these forms can be obtained through the Housing Unit Officers. Inmate property requests must be approved by the Security Operations Division Captain, or, if requested for medical reasons, by the facility physician and the Security Operations Division Captain.

One (1) complete set of dress clothes for court (upon request of inmate’s attorney) or trial will be accepted and stored in the Property Room until needed. Hand-delivered packages, other than court clothes or other items with Security approval, will not be accepted.

Property for inmates will not be accepted during visitation and no items will be transferred between a visitor and an inmate.


Inmate Property and Money Release

Inmates may release their personal property items to relatives, friends, attorneys, etc. by completing and signing a Property Release Authorization form; these forms can be obtained through the Housing Unit Officers.

Inmates are allowed one (1) special request release of their personal property to specified individuals during their incarceration.  These requests are used if a specific item needs to be released, such as vehicle keys, cell phone, etc.  Otherwise, an inmate must release all of his/her property when conducting a property release, with the exception of one set of clothes to be worn at release.

Upon sentencing to the Department of Corrections, inmates are encouraged to release all of their stored personal property to a family member or friend prior to transport; this will be accomplished in the same manner as above. In this case, all property should be released as inmates will be transported in uniform and will not require any of their personal clothing.
Inmates may release money from their Inmate Trust Fund account by completing a Money Release Authorization form; these forms can be obtained through the Housing Unit Officers.

Money can be released from an inmate’s account one (1) time during their incarceration and must be requested 24 hours in advance to allow for processing.

For more information contact the Alachua County Sheriff's Office Public Information Office, (352) 367-4050 or send us an email.

Under Florida law, email addresses are public records. If you do not want your email address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

This information is made available to the public and law enforcement in the interest of public safety.