HomepageContact UsSite Map


Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I check someone’s background?

You may obtain a list of a person’s Alachua County arrest history from the Records Bureau for a fee of $6.00, in the form of cash, a money order, cashier’s check or business check.  You may visit our office located at 2621 SE Hawthorne Road, Gainesville, Florida, or submit a request by mail with payment and a self-addressed, stamped envelope to:
                        The Records Bureau
                        Alachua County Sheriff’s Office
                        Post Office Box 5489
Gainesville, Florida  32627
Required:       The name with any and all names ever used, race, sex, and date of birth of the individual are required identifiers for a complete search.  If known, a social security number is also searchable.

Statewide backgrounds for all Florida arrest information may be obtained through the Florida Department of Law Enforcement Criminal History Services Section at (850) 410-8109 or their website address of http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/CriminalHistory/.  The website includes information for Florida and National criminal history records as well.

  • How do I apply for a job with the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office?

You can apply on line at www.alachuasheriff.org, or in person at the main headquarters’ building at 2621 SE Hawthorne Road, Gainesville, FL.  If you have additional questions about job vacancies or applicant requirements, you may call the Human Resources Bureau at 352-367-4040. See our Human Resources page.   There are a number of situations that may automatically disqualify you as an applicant for any position with the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office – illegal drug use/experimentation, arrests/criminal history, driving history, residency requirement, social networking site access, etc.  Please click on the Human Resources link above for specific information on disqualifiers.

  • I need to get fingerprinted.  How can I do that?

Fingerprinting services are provided through the Records Bureau located in the main lobby of the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office located at
2621 SE Hawthorne Road
Gainesville, Florida  32641
Required:        A photo ID is required (preferably a driver’s license) and a fingerprint card provided by the company requesting the fingerprinting is preferred.
Restriction:     Backpacks and large containers will be prohibited from the fingerprint area.
Times:             Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Fees:               Concealed Weapon Permit Applications - $5.00
                        All other printing - $10.00
                        Cash or money orders (no personal checks or debit/credit cards accepted)

  • What do I need to do to obtain a concealed weapons permit?

Concealed weapon permit application packets are available at the Records Bureau during business hours (Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.) free of charge.
Fingerprinting services for concealed weapon permit applicants are available for a fee of $5.00 (cash or money order only).  The fingerprints may be submitted electronically or by mail with the application.  For additional information, contact the Department of Agriculture at (850) 245-5691.  Persons who possess a valid license for carrying a concealed firearm or weapon may legally do so, subject to the provisions in FS 790.06.  

  • What is the ATF form process?

ATF applications requiring the signature of the Chief Law Enforcement Officer are processed by the Sheriff's Office. Applicants for these forms must complete their fingerprint cards at ACSO at the time their applicaiton is submitted for consideration. The applications should be submitted to the Records Bureau at the time the applicant is fingerprinted along with a self-addressed stamped envelope for the return of the forms to the applicant. A valid photo ID must be presented when the application is submitted.

  • How do I obtain crime stats for the area where I live?

If you have internet access you can log onto our website at www.alachuasheriff.org and click on the CrimeReports.com link.  This very user friendly site will give you a breakdown of all crimes or specific crimes based on the information you put into the link.  Or you can call our Public Information Office at 352-374-4046 for additional assistance.

  • How do I start a Neighborhood Crime Watch in my neighborhood?

Contact the Crime Prevention Unit at 362-374-1800 to find out if there is an existing NCW or to learn how to organize a new NCW.

  • How can I find information about a FREE home security survey?

Contact the Crime Prevention Unit at 352-374-1800.  Crime Prevention also provides public safety classes on multiple topics including:  internet safety, pedestrian safety, robbery prevention, good touch bad touch/stranger danger, and many more. 

  • If I am a senior or have had someone take financial advantage of me, how can I get help?

Seniors vs Crime volunteers with the Florida Attorney General work in an office they share with us at the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office.  The primary goal of this program is to reduce victimization of senior citizens who are often targeted for specific crimes based on their age.  However, there is no age requirement to use Seniors vs Crime.  Their office hours are Wednesdays and Thursdays, 11 am. to 3 p.m., 352-367-4023 or 800-203-3099 or email www.seniorsvscrime.com

  • I have a family member with Alzheimer’s who wanders.  Do you offer a program to assist us?

Project Lifesaver assists law enforcement in finding missing people with Alzheimer’s and related conditions and is the nation’s most effective rescue program, using advanced technology in a wristband or anklet that emits a radio tracking signal.  To enroll contact Project Lifesaver staff at 352-367-4043 to schedule an interview to determine eligibility. 

  • How can I find information about an inmate in jail?

If you have internet access you can log onto our website www.alachuasheriff.org and go to the Inmate Look-Up feature at the bottom left of the main webpage: Inmate Lookup

  • How do I get a copy of a police report?

You may call the Records Bureau at (352) 367-4018, email recordsrequests@acso.us, visit our office located at
           2621 SE Hawthorne Road, Gainesville, Florida 32641
           or send your request to
           The Records Bureau
           Alachua County Sheriff’s Office
           Post Office Box 5489
           Gainesville, FL  32627
     Fees:    For reports of 20 pages or more – $0.15 per page
           Victims may receive reports free of charge.
           Extensive requests will incur a charge of the hourly rate (including benefits) of the employee for the time required to complete the request.
Reports are available from our office, via email, and the U.S. Postal Service when postage is provided.

  • How do I file a police report?

You can call the non-emergency line at 352-955-1818 if you believe the request will need a deputy to respond.

  • I think there may be a Warrant for my arrest.  What should I do?

You should contact the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office Warrants Division at 352-367-4138 or 352-955-1818.

To report the whereabouts of a Most Wanted individual and for potential reward, you can call the Crime Stoppers anonymous number at 352-372-7867.
If the information provided meets the Gun Bounty criteria (an arrest, seizure of guns used illegally or weapons charges/convictions) you could receive a $1,000
reward – no questions asked.

  • I am leaving on vacation and want a deputy to check on my house while I’m away.  Do you offer that service?

You can call our Patrol Division at 352-367-4101 to request an increased patrol, however, there are no guarantees that a deputy will be able to do more than drive by the location, and no guarantees on the number of times they can drive by.  Obviously, priority calls and all other calls for service receive our primary attention and if the deputy assigned to your zone has time and is not answering calls, they will drive by.

  • What items can I bring into the Courthouses?

Weapons are not allowed inside the courthouses. Each visitor and employee is screened through a comprehensive security station, using state of the art X-ray machines and Magnetometers.
In recent years, the Court Security Bureau has seen an increase in the number of weapons that are covertly concealed within a persons clothing or on their person. If you are coming to either courthouse, you may want to consider arriving a bit earlier as our screening procedures have been enhanced for everyone's safety. Be prepared to remove your belt and wallet as you will be asked to place these items onto the x-ray machine conveyor belt. Other items that need to be placed onto the x-ray machine are listed as follows;

  • Electronic devices such as cell phones, computers and pagers.
  • Keys, tools or other metallic objects.
  • Cigarettes, lighters or any items that are wrapped with Aluminum Foil.
  • Purses, backpacks or packages.

Anyone carrying a firearm into the Courthouse will be arrested per Florida Statute 790.06 (12)

If you have any questions, please call (352) 374-5239.

  • How do I file a complaint about an ACSO employee?

Citizens Complaint Form - The form can be viewed in Adobe Acrobat Reader and then printed.  The form can either be emailed to #OPS or delivered to the front Lobby of the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office.
It is essential that the citizens of Alachua County have confidence in their Sheriff's Office and the administration which supervises the exercise of police authority. This mandates that procedures for investigating and resolving all concerns and allegations of misconduct be instituted.
Although citizen comments are frequently based upon misunderstandings of the law or established law enforcement procedures, they are of great concern and can lead to a mistrust of law enforcement if not investigated or explained. All citizens are encouraged to bring forward legitimate comments, concerns, commendations and/or grievances regarding ACSO employees.

  • What should I do when I am pulled over by a Deputy?

Pull off the road and out of traffic as soon as it is safely possible.  Turn off your engine and music and open your window so you can hear the Deputy communicate to you.  If it is dark, turn on your interior lights.  Keep your hands in plain view and do not make any movements that might be interpreted as hiding or reaching for something, since this is a safety concern for the deputy.  It is likely that the Deputy will tell you to exit the vehicle with your driver’s license, vehicle registration and proof of insurance, and walk back to the deputy’s car. Passengers should remain in the vehicle unless told to exit. Most traffic stops are being video and audio taped.  Every year, law enforcement officers are killed while making traffic stops.  While the majority of our citizens are good, law abiding citizens, unfortunately we have to treat every vehicle stop as a potential threat.  Since not all law enforcement agencies conduct stops in the same manner, follow the instructions of the involved officer.  At the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office we believe that the “call back method” offers the safety environment for the public and deputy. 

Questions about Inmate Property and Custody (Rules & Regulations)


  • How do I find information about an inmate in jail?

If you have internet access you can log onto our website www.alachuasheriff.org and go to the Inmate Look-Up feature at the bottom left of the main webpage: Inmate Lookup.  Be sure to check “include photo” if you want to see the booking photo.

  • Can inmates receive books, magazines or newspapers?

No, however, the Alachua District Library is available within the Jail.

  • How much money can an inmate have in their account?

There is no limit on the amount of money an inmate may have in their account.

  • Can I electronically send money to the jail for deposit to an inmate's account?

Yes. Acceptance of Money – Deposits can be made into inmate accounts by utilizing the kiosk located in the jail lobby, by depositing a money order into the drop box located in the jail lobby, through Government Payment Service at 1-888-277-2535/on-line www.govpaynow.com, or through Western Union Payments at 1-800-634-3422/on-line www.westernunion.com.

  • Do you charge a daily fee to each inmate account?

Currently, the fee is $4.00 per day. It is charged on a daily basis. Inmates are not denied any basic needs if fees are not paid.

  • Are there any other fees charged to inmates while in custody?

Yes. Inmates are charged an initial uniform/linen fee of $20.00.
Costs for all non-emergency services by medical, dental, and/or mental health are as follows:

      1. Routine Sick Call -- $5.00
      2. Doctor/ARNP/PA -- $5.00
      3. Mental Health/Psychiatrist -- $5.00
      4. Each New Prescription -- $5.00
      5. Each X-Ray -- $5.00
      6. Dental Visits -- $5.00
      7. Each Lab Test -- $5.00
      8. Transportation for each hour with a Detention Officer (To elective outside consult/treatment/therapy) -- $80.00.
  • If the inmate has money in their property, can they bond themselves out?

Yes. The inmate needs to inform a deputy during the intake process that they have the funds in their property for bond. The inmate will be required to sign the bond receipt.

  • How do I obtain an inmate's personal property that is being stored in the property room at a detention facility?

Before releasing property to family members or others, the inmate must authorize the release in writing. The recipient of the inmate property must show picture identification and sign prior to the release of items. Inmate property is released only to the person specified by the inmate. The Property Room at the Department of the Jail is open 24 hours.

  • What is the mailing address to mail something to an inmate?

The mailing address is 3333 NE 39th Ave Gainesville, FL 32609.

  • What am I allowed to send to an inmate?

Effective April 1, 2010, all incoming and outgoing inmate mail must be in the form of a postcard, excluding mail deemed legal or privileged. Postcards must be standard size, pre-stamped, and must include the inmate's full name and a complete return address. No pictures, oversized postcards, or attachments are allowed; unacceptable mail will be returned to the sender.


911 FAQ's

  • Can I report drunk drivers to 911 on my cell phone?

Yes, calls to 911 on a cell phone are free, but unlike landline phones, we can’t tell where you are calling from, so be prepared to tell the operator your location, direction of travel and a description of both cars.  Your safety is most important to us.  Do NOT pursue the drunk driver or in any way place yourself in danger.

  •  How do I know if I have a real emergency?

An emergency is when immediate police, fire, or medical assistance is necessary to protect life or property.
If an emergency situation arises, ask yourself one important question. Is there an immediate need for police, fire, or paramedics to protect or save life or property? If you can answer, "yes" to this question, then dial 9-1-1.

  • What should I tell the Communications Operator when I call?
    • Stay Calm, give your location, phone number, nature of the emergency and your name.
    • Listen carefully to the questions and instructions of the Communications Operator and be prepared to repeat information if asked.
    • You may be asked to verify the City from where you are calling due to duplicate addresses in the nine municipalities in the county.
    • Answer all questions as accurately as possible. Speak clearly and slowly.
    • Do exactly as instructed during the course of the call.
    • Providing additional information as requested does not delay emergency response to you.
  • Should I hang up and try to help or stay on the line?

Never hang up until you are told to do so. If you hang up and redial, you will go to the end of the line of people waiting for service.
It may be frustrating for you, but we will need you to stay on the line until we advise you that it is all right to hang up. Be patient if we seem to ask a lot of questions. There are certain things that we must know to provide you with the services you need.
You may be placed on hold if a higher level call comes in – please continue to hold.

  • If I accidentally call 9-1-1 should I hang up?

No, stay on the phone and let the Communications Call Taker know that it was a mistake. Also remember to place your cell phone on "Lock or Keylock" mode so that it does not dial 9-1-1.

  • Should I dial 9-1-1 for non-emergency situations?

No, do not dial 9-1-1 for non-emergency situations. For non-emergency situations such as noisy neighbors or delayed incidents, use the non-emergency telephone number (352) 955-1818.
Never tell the Communications Call Taker that a situation is more serious than it really is. It is against the law to intentionally and knowingly gives false   information to the police or emergency services. Abuse of 911 may delay someone else's access to emergency assistance.

  • When I call 9-1-1, am I calling the agency that I need for my emergency?

9-1-1 in Alachua County is the primary answering point for all emergency services except Alachua Police Department, University Police Department and Santa Fe College. If you need assistance from any of those agencies your call will be transferred to the proper agency by our Communications Call Takers.


Programs and Other Useful Links

The Alachua County Sheriff’s Office offers many programs.  Please look at the links below and utilize the services that we provide:
Teen Driver Challenge :

Rape Aggression Defense Course:

Explorer Program:

Beat the Heat:

Victim Services:

Crime Reports:

For more information contact the Alachua County Sheriff's Office Public Information Office, (352) 367-4050 or send us an email.

Under Florida law, email addresses are public records. If you do not want your email address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

This information is made available to the public and law enforcement in the interest of public safety.