HomepageContact UsSite Map


Injunction for Protection

What are the different types of Injunctions for Protections?

There are five types of injunctions that differ based on the nature of the threat and the victim's relationship to the abuser. Please select the type of injunction that applies to your situation.   

  • Domestic Violence – Florida Statute 741.30

An injunction for protection may be available to you if: you have been the victim of physical abuse, or you have been placed in fear, either with words or physical acts, that you would immediately be harmed by an unlawful act of violence.

You may file a Domestic Violence Injunction if there has been an incident of violence and the Respondent is your spouse, former spouse, related to you by blood or marriage, living with you or has lived with you in the past or is the other parent of your child(ren) whether you have been married or lived together.

    • Only 1 act of violence is needed to apply
    • Most recent act of violence must have occurred in last 6 months.
  • Repeat Violence - Florida Statute 784.046

You may file a Repeat Violence Injunction if two or more incidents of violence have been committed against you or a member of your immediate family by another person.

    • Must have MORE than 1 act of violence and the most recent act must have occurred within the last 6 months
  • Dating Violence - Florida Statute  784.046

You may file a Dating Violence Injunction if there has been an incident of violence between individuals who have had a continuing relationship of a romantic and intimate nature. The relationship must have existed within the past six months.

    • Must have more than 1 act of violence and the most recent act must have occurred within the last 6 months.
  • Sexual Violence - Florida Statute 784.046

You may file a Sexual Violence Injunction if there has been an incident of violence wherein a sexual act is committed or attempted. In order to receive an injunction, you must have reported the sexual violence to law enforcement and be cooperating in any resulting criminal proceeding.

    • Must have police report
    • Only 1 incident is needed to apply
    • Must be victim of sexual violence.


  • Stalking - Florida Statute 784.0485

You may file a Stalking Violence Injunction if someone purposely follows or harasses you repeatedly over a period of time for no legitimate reason.

    • Must have more than 1 act of stalking behavior and the most recent act must have occurred within the last 6 months

Where can I file for an Injunction for Protection against Domestic Violence?

You can file (petition/apply) for an injunction for protection against domestic violence in the circuit where you live permanently or temporarily, where the abuser lives, or where the abuse occurred.

If you would like to petition in Alachua County, go to the Alachua County Family/Civil Justice Center (commonly called the Civil Courthouse or the "Old" Courthouse) to the Clerk of the Court’s Office.

Civil Division of the Clerk of the Court
201 East University Avenue
Gainesville, FL  32601
Monday through Friday
8:30am to 5:00pm

You may ask about the Restraining Order Assistance Program (ROAP), a service of Peaceful Paths Domestic Abuse Network for help from their staff. The ROAP office is located in the basement of the Courthouse. Staff can assist with filling out the applications for Injunctions as well as attend hearings. For help call the Peaceful Paths Domestic Abuse Network at 377-8255. Office hours vary.

If you would like to request assistance in completing an application, you may also contact the Victim Advocate Unit at (352) 367-4199.

NOTE:  Injunctions for Protection may be filed by a parent or guardian on behalf of any minor child (under 18) who is a victim of violence.


How much does it cost to petition for an Injunction for Protection against Domestic Violence?

There is NO FEE associated with filing an Injunction for Protection against Domestic Violence.


What if I need to petition for an injunction after hours, on the weekend or holiday?

AFTER HOURS – CALL FOR SERVICE at Alachua County Sheriff’s Office
Monday – Friday from 5:00pm to 7:00am
Saturdays and Sundays

All law enforcement agencies in Alachua County may utilize the "after hours" service provided by ACSO.  If you are seeking to petition for an injunction after hours or on the weekend, please contact the Combined Communications Center at (352) 955-1818 and ask for a Shift Commander. The Shift Commander will provide guidance on how to obtain the injunction at the Sheriff's Office. Typically a deputy will be called to respond and remain until the process is complete.

In an emergency situation on a weekend, holiday or after hours, ACSO staff (Records Bureau and Combined Communications Center) who have been trained and deputized as a Deputy Clerk of the Court may provide an overview of the process to petition for an emergency injunction. After the application is completed, the Judge is contacted for a decision. If the Judge approves the injunction, the deputy is dispatched to attempt to serve the injunction to the respondent.

The emergency injunction is a temporary court order. A court date is automatically set for a hearing before the judge to petition for a permanent injunction.


What relief can I expect with an Injunction?

An Injunction for Protection is NOT VALID until the respondent has been served.

The "respondent" is the person who you allege engaged in an act or acts of domestic violence. If the court enters an injunction, it will prohibit the respondent from continuing any acts or threats of violence. The court may also order the respondent to vacate your residence, stay away from your residence, and stay away from your work place. If the injunction states that there is to be "no contact" between the parties, the respondent is prohibited from communicating with the petitioner either directly, indirectly, or through a third party. The respondent must abide by the court's order or face criminal charges.

An Injunction for Protection is NOT the same as a No Contact Order that is issued as a result of a crime. A No Contact Order is issued at First Appearance in the criminal court when the defendant appears before a judge following an arrest.

Please talk to a Victim Advocate for additional information about the Injunction and the No Contact Order in the criminal case.


For more information contact the Alachua County Sheriff's Office Public Information Office, (352) 367-4050 or send us an email.

Under Florida law, email addresses are public records. If you do not want your email address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

This information is made available to the public and law enforcement in the interest of public safety.